Thursday, February 10, 2011

Anatomy of a Hipster Part I

Ask Darwin, or anyone who believes in evolution and they will tell you that for centuries the world has survived on the premise that only the fittest live.  Now the word "fit" is used here in the traditional and non traditional sense of the word. Yes it does stand for being healthy and strong, but it also translates into the ability to adapt, conform and assimilate to ones environment.

That being said, it is obvious why I have chosen this as a metaphor for my move to Main Street. Just as all plants and animals must adapt to evolve, the same goes for humans when moving into a new community.  One must adapt to new surroundings, learn the rules of the road, tricks of the trade, or suffer the wrath of social extinction. Easy as 1.2.3.

Well it would be, except for the fact that Main Street is Hipster Central and I'm naturally more a Gwyneth then a Sienna. Try, try, try as I might I can't seem to cultivate that look of un-calculated chaotic, perfection. At first I blamed it on having boobs (shirts don't drape gracefully) then my legs were not long and skinny enough (an essential for pulling off the combat boot) and then finally I attacked the blonde locks. Platinum is so contrived, not natural enough. 


All in all a natural hipster I am not. I could try to be, but my passion for girly dresses, well tailored clothing, and wearing clothes that do not add volume to ones frame, immediately get me voted off the island. Don't fret for me however, my survival of the fittest introduction, seems to guarantee that the hipster breed will die out before long. As natural selection would have it, no one can survive on just espresso and cigarettes, especially while forgoing cars for sketchy vintage bikes peddled by paper thin legs ;)

Stay tuned for a Part II of Anatomy of a Hipster - a piece by piece dissection, by yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment